Expressive Artist | Job Opening
Glitter & Razz Productions LLC is currently seeking EXPRESSIVE ARTISTS for temporary full-time employment for our Go Girls! Camp season from June 20 – August 18, 2016.
Compensation |We are committed to paying teaching artists a fair and competitive salary. Starting salaries range from $1600- $1800 DOE per 2 week session, working all sessions at a single site preferred (but not required)
Sites: Oakland, Berkeley, San Francisco, Alameda, Palo Alto
Hours: Monday- Friday 8:30am-4:30pm and until 6:00pm on the final Friday
Training*: Mandatory Training days the weekend of May 28-30, 2016.
*This training is led by Co-Founders Allison Kenny and Lynn Johnson. You are paid a stipend for your time to attend and will be well-fed. In this training, not only will you learn the ins and outs of working at a Go Girls! Camp, you will also learn, practice, and strengthen the skills that will benefit your career as a teacher, teaching artist, youth worker, and girl advocate anywhere you choose to share your gifts in the world.
As a Go Girls! Camp Expressive Artist, you will…
- Train with Glitter & Razz Owners to learn our Go Girls! Camp Methodology
- Prepare curriculum and high quality learning experiences according to the Go Girls! Methodology
- Lead girls ages 5-10 through the process of creating art that embodies the theme of each particular session. You will turn this art into a “set” or backdrop for each performance
- Lead 2-3 age appropriate art classes per day that support mistakes as part of learning, teach art techniques across modalities, support imagination, collaboration and generosity
- Design and make props and costume elements for each performance
- Lead daily “Community Circle” times that introduce content and facilitate small group experiences with our Go Girls! Culture Code
- Effectively manage a group of up to 45 girls using positive discipline techniques and relational attachment (camp ratio is 8:1)
- Work effectively with your team: Play Director, Assistant Teachers, Music Specialist and Middle School aged interns from the Go Girls! Leadership Team (GGLT)
- Support children to feel safe and have fun during community building, free play, snack and lunch times
- Connect daily with parents at pick up time, celebrating their children’s successes and discussing challenges appropriately
- Support children to manage conflicts peacefully by facilitating “talk-it-outs”
- Build and maintain positive relationships with our collaborating partners throughout the course of the summer
A Go Girls! Camp Expressive Artist will have…
- At least 5 years of experience teaching art to young children ages 5-10
- Knowledge in and respect for ensemble-based collaborative processes of creating original performance
- Knowledge in and respect for expressive arts experiences that value process and allow for child-led art making
- Flexibility: multi-tasking and managing challenges in a variety of situations is key
- Confidence: we hire artists who can project calm and confidence
- Impeccable Social/Emotional Skills: Ability to manage stress and emotional triggers, willingness to use direct communication, ask for what you need and listen to others needs
- A Curious and Reflective Mind: the kind of person who is always learning, always thinking about how you can do better, open to loving feedback
- Great Boundaries: the ability to take good care of yourself by saying no when you need to and keep all kids safe at camp
- Positive energy: Kids do best with adults who model kindness & playfulness
- “Nothing to Hide”: all employees of Glitter & Razz are subject to fingerprinting background checks and TB testing
STEP ONE: Fill out our on-line APPLICATION where you can UPLOAD your teaching resume and cover letter. In your letter, please include the following:
- Your philosophy of working with kids (how you do it and why you love it)
- Both your strengths and challenges as an artistic collaborator
- Why you are specifically interested in working at a Go Girls! Camp
If you seem like a great fit, you’ll be contacted to schedule 20 minute PHONE INTERVIEW with one of veteran Go Girls! Teaching Artists. This is a chance to get all your questions answered and for us to get to know more about you.
Qualified folks will be invited to attend a 45 minute IN-PERSON INTERVIEW with Go Girls! Co-Founder, Allison Kenny. SKYPE interviews can be scheduled with artists and assistants who live outside of the Bay Area. These interviews are held throughout February.
Our final step in the hiring process is a CALLBACK AUDITION on Saturday, March 12th from 9:00-12:00 in San Francisco. Attending this callback is a requirement for hiring. It’s lead by Co-Founders, Allison Kenny and Lynn Johnson and structured as an interactive professional development opportunity for the 30 or so artists who attend.
Final job offers are made during the week of March 14th.